Top Stories

Eagles Sports
Upcoming Events
Vic's Flick Picks
Wedding/Births
Pastor's Column
Obituaries
Classifieds
Subscribe
Advertise with Us
Press Release
Contact Us
Staff Login
Coupons

Top Stories

Frankenmuth Fire Dept.

Alarms activate Frankenmuth F.D.

  General fire alarms and a gas stove drew responses from the Frankenmuth Fire Department last week.

  The FFD has answered 89 calls for service in 2018, with over four months left in the year.

  Thursday afternoon, August 2, the FFD was dispatched to a general fire alarm at Uptown North Main, 975 North Main Street. FFD Assistant Chief Phil Haubenstricker said a construction crew was performing some underground work for the expansion project and struck the electrical power line to the building, interrupting power and setting off the alarm.

  Engine 1 and Truck 3 responded with 10 personnel and cleared 20 minutes later. A total of 12 firefighters reported to the station.

  Just before noon on Friday, August 3, the local fire department was called to the Frankenmuth Brewery for a general fire alarm.

  FFD firefighter Adam Palmer said the alarm was false due to a malfunctioning smoke detector. Engine 1 and Truck 3 traveled to the scene with seven fire personnel; eight overall responded. They quickly cleared the site.

  At 1:40pm Friday, the FFD responded to a general fire alarm at the Frankenmuth High School, 525 East Genesee Street.

  FFD Chief Phil Kerns said an electrical contractor was performing some maintenance on the system. The alarm was tested but thought to be in the supervisory mode, however, it was transmitted to Saginaw County Central Dispatch 911 as an alarm. Eight personnel responded and cleared before 2pm.

  Run No. 89 also took place on Friday, shortly before 7:30pm, in the 200 block of South Franklin Street for the smell of gas inside a dwelling.

  A homeowner had turned on a gas stove top, went outside 15 minutes and returned later to discover that the burner had not ignited, spewing natural gas inside the home.

  Kerns advised the homeowner did the right thing by turning off the gas, exiting the structure and calling 911 from the outside. However, Kerns said it is always best to stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stove top.

  Because natural gas is heavier than air, the smell quickly dissipated upon arrival and crews cleared after ensuring there was no additional natural gas leakage. Seven fire personnel responded.

(c) 2006 Frankenmuth News