Upcoming EventsIn & Around Frankenmuth
Relay For Life at Farmers Market on Friday, June 2
The annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Frankenmuth will take place Friday, June 2, from 6-10pm at the Frankenmuth Farmers Market.
The event will begin with an opening ceremony at 6pm, followed by children and adult games and island music at 6:30pm. The Survivor Ceremony will take place at 7:30pm, with dessert to follow. The Luminaria Ceremony will begin at 8:30pm and the closing ceremony will commence at 9:30pm.
There will be many local vendors and relay teams having fun at the event.
Since the Frankenmuth Relay’s inception years ago, the community has raised over $1 million in the fight against cancer.
Sponsors ready to Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back. include Bringin’ Back the 80s Fest, Frankenmuth Insurance, Dennis Roy – Farm Bureau Insurance, Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland and the Frankenmuth Credit Union.
Persons wishing to volunteer, form a team or be a sponsor should contact Brian Krause (989-493-0240) or by email, email@example.com.
In the Great Lakes Bay Region, the American Cancer Society, through the area relays, have given $17,773,250 in grants at Michigan State University, the Regents of the University of Michigan, University of Michigan, Henry Ford Health System and Wayne State University.
84 patients have received resources and guidance to improve their appearance and self-image during cancer treatments;
353 nights of free or reduced-rate lodging were provided to cancer patients and their families traveling away from home for treatment; 2,773 service requests were made;
354 personal health manager kits were provided;
117 free wigs for given to cancer patients;
553 trips were provided for taking cancer patients to treatment through the American Cancer Society’s Road to Recovery transportation programs.
The ACS spends its money with a 75-25-percent split. The 75 percent goes for cancer research, patient support, prevention, information and education, and detection and treatment. The remaining 25 percent goes for management, general expenses and fundraising expenses.
A total of 99 percent of the money comes from people like you, special events, personal gifts, corporate gifts, bequests and others. Only one percent comes from grants and contracts from government agencies and income from investments.
According to ACS statistics, there has been a 23-percent decline in cancer death rates since 1991 – over $1.7 million fewer deaths.
We're glad you took the time to check out the abbreviated version of our paper. To enjoy the Frankenmuth News in its entirety - click on the "subscribe" tab.